Student Spotlight: Kim Avery

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kim Avery, a sophomore at Eastern Connecticut State University has a passion for the American Red Cross Blood Drives. Kim has been volunteering and donating for the past three semesters and will continue to do so in the future.


Kim first became interested in volunteering with the Blood Drives on campus after donating one time. "The man who was taking my blood told me that it was great that I was donating because the blood I was giving was going to be used to help someone within three days. I realized the huge need for blood and wanted to help." Kim has since been recruiting people to donate in Webb the days before the Blood Drives, and then working the sign-in table once the volunteers show up. She has also volunteered with the canteen area, and overall just wants to help wherever there is a need.


Kim noted that the most rewarding aspect of working with the Blood Drives is knowing that she is helping someone else. She also expressed some of the challenges. "I want to help as much as I can, and sometimes my class schedule interrupts with that. So instead of cancelling on the Blood Drives, I bring my laptop and study while sitting at the sign-in table." The balance of school and volunteering can be bridged!


Kim offers advice to any first time volunteers working within the Blood Drives: "make sure you know what you are getting into, and do it because you want to. And make sure you can balance both school work and volunteering".

0 comments:

Post a Comment